Prayer Letter

Current prayer letter

Previous prayer letters

February 2017

In the midst of the battle and the changing scenes of the life we now live, we are confident there are a few things that do not change. We know that Christ is the same: yesterday, today and forever. His Word is always sure and stedfast without wavering. God upholds all things by the Word of Power, and He cares for us in all the insecurity around us. Thinking on these things, our anxiety flees away and courage returns for the challenges ahead. Thank you all for your care in prayer, also.

Do not think that prayer is not much in support of our family. Much of our encouragement comes from knowing we are not alone in the battle against the workers of iniquity. Our work in Kaintiba is 90% prayer/preaching, and the other 10% is a few hours of physical labor that comes with living in a third-world country (rough estimates). Even when I am working some manual labour, my mind is wandering in prayer for guidance or wisdom touching a certain subject. Our enemy has had thousands of years of practice, and my lack of inexperience keeps me seeking help from our Lord and Saviour, Who has already defeated this wily foe.

Speaking of manual labor, on Christmas day after the morning service, we were eating our main meal around one o'clock. As we were enjoying such a wonderful lunch, we heard cries of distress outside. The rain was hitting the roof, and the yells exceeded the loud noise. We quickly went out and found, to our dismay, a large mud slide had broken free on the right side of the church building. The mud had smashed half of that wall and deposited several tons of wet clay next to the church building. After hours/days/weeks of working with spades, shovels, one wheel barrel, and a small trailer, we just now (almost) completed it. We had the wall repaired after about 2 weeks of digging and one day building a new wall. We are back to using the full capacity of our already small church building. There is still one area that still has water in our bare ground floor. The new vinyl role flooring has helped, but we are praying for a "full recovery" of a strong ground floor!

The last few letters I have asked for prayer concerning several people that need to be baptized. The Lord worked in the heart of one young man, and he came for baptism this past week (Sunday, January 22nd). Our daughter Grace was also baptized, since she did not ever remember making a public profession of her faith. It was wonderful to see Father send such an encouragement when it seemed like things were getting so dry, spiritually. Pray for this young man Laurence as he continues in his Christian walk. The pull to forsake Christ is so strong for him and he faces family who make fun of or disdains his commitment.

The week of January 16 (16-18), our church hosted a 3 day "Vacation Bible School". The PNG school year starts in February, so we either do this ministry in December or January. This was our second year doing this, and it was again blessed of the Lord. There were 98 registered children/adults (some parents came). We fed them both physical and spiritual food all three days. The theme was: "Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God." (Christ Jesus). Kaintiba is filled with children that are left to fend for themselves in almost every aspect of live. Pray that we will be able to continue to help them to see their ultimate need: Jesus Christ, the Righteous. He will never leave them, nor forsake them like so many others around them. May they see Christ in us, the Hope of Glory!

Christi’s Corner: To add to the VBS story, Tabitha had prayed for double the attendance of the last VBS. We had 49 registered last time. This time the number was 98! Exactly double!! Thank you, Lord!

Glory is almost 2. Oh, yes, now I remember what two year olds are like. (It's been 5 years for us.) Always into things, walking around with toys and then dropping them where they fall because something else catches their eye. Another thing she does is to call her pacifier if it is misplaced. It's so funny! As we enjoy her and pick up after her I sometimes ask myself, do I behave as my (almost) two year old spiritually? Am I easily distracted while "calling" for foolish things? It's amazing what you can learn from kids!

For His Glory,
Mark and Christi Helzerman
Tabitha, Titus, Samuel, Hadassah,
Grace, Hope, Serenity and Glory
E-mail: mhelzerman@gmail.com

 


Home | About | Prayer Letter | Pictures | Blog | Contact | Links
Copyright © Mark Helzerman. All rights reserved. Designed by
Calvary Publishing